Primary roles and responsibilities of the Communications and Development Manager include management of the communications and brand strategy, donor stewardship and fundraising campaigns, and operations assistance. The Communications and Development Manager reports to the Deputy Director of Carolina for Kibera, Inc. (CFK), and works in close coordination with the Executive Director and senior leadership team for CFK in Kenya. Compensation: $48,000-$55,000 per year dependent on qualifications and experience.
Applications for this position will be accepted through April 28, 2017. Please direct any questions regarding the position to Nick Johnson at email@example.com.
- Produce a monthly e-newsletter and quarterly print newsletter.
- Produce the Annual Report.
- Manage end-of-calendar year and end-of-fiscal year fundraising campaigns.
- Manage agency website including updates, edits, and overall design.
- Manage our profiles on external funding sites and identify new online fundraising opportunities.
- Manage CFK’s social media presence.
- Develop engaging content for multi-platform marketing initiatives.
- Create program and development fliers, brochures, invitations, and other projects requiring graphic design.
- Design annual fundraising campaigns and manage donor stewardship activities including mail and email solicitations and web-based giving.
- Identify, cultivate, and generate proposals and reports for major giving prospects.
- Assist the Deputy Director in designing and drafting proposals for foundations.
- Manage recurring donations, including communicating with LYBUNTS and SYBUNTS.
- Coordinate with Administrative and Events Coordinator to distribute thank you notes, prepare and send orders of books and DVDs, and manage volunteers to assist with marketing campaigns.
- Manage the donor database and oversee staff responsible for data entry and gift
- Engage staff, members of the Board of Directors, and other volunteers in development efforts.
- Serve as the staff representative on the Fundraising Committee of the Board of Directors.
General Administration and Financial Management
- Coordinate with Administrative and Events Coordinator to maintain CFK office files, update mail and email databases, and process incoming gifts and donor acknowledgment.
- Work with Deputy Director, Finance Committee, and Fundraising Committee to develop and implement a budget for development activities.
- Complete other related tasks and team-based projects as determined by the Deputy Director.
- Work with the Deputy Director and Administrative and Events Coordinator to manage the annual Peacock Fellowship application, selection, and orientation processes.
- Offer guidance and collaboration to the Administrative and Events Coordinator regarding the annual Kick for Kibera Soccer Clinic.
- Explore additional partnership opportunities with other centers, departments, and programs at UNC.
- Work collaboratively with CFK-Kenya to ensure that programming aligns with associated funding requirements.
Key Qualities and Attributes
- Charismatic and able to manage and motivate others to perform excellently
- Big picture, visionary thinker
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple activities and deadlines
- Adept at community relations, public speaking, and establishing connections with a variety of stakeholders
- Aligned to CFK values: community partnership, trust, integrity, excellence, and transparency
- Willing to travel internationally at least once a year for multiple weeks
Expected Values and Competencies
- Dedicated interest in community participatory development
- Dedicated interest in international approaches to poverty, human rights, equity, and social justice
- Rights-based approach to gender and ethnic equality and opportunity
- Ability to be culturally sensitive
- Ability to work with a multi-cultural team in a low-resource community
- Proven experience in fundraising and/or revenue growth
- Excellent writing, presentation, and communication skills
Qualification and Experience Requirements:
- B.A. or B.S. degree from an accredited institution
- Professional experience in an administrative, marketing, or fundraising capacity preferred
- Ability to adapt to changing situations and priorities with ease and confidence
- Ability to move without difficulty between fundraising, communications, and logistical tasks
- Strong commitment and passion for the mission, vision, and work of CFK
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong knowledge of Content Management Systems (Wordpress and/or Webflow, specifically)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Experience working or volunteering with international nonprofits a plus
About Carolina for Kibera:
Carolina for Kibera, (CFK), is a community development and research organization promoting youth leadership, affordable healthcare, education, and equitable and peaceful ethnic and gender relations in Kibera, Kenya, one of the world’s largest informal settlements. CFK facilitates community development through a wide array of programming covering peace, girls’ rights, education, affordable healthcare, and economic opportunity. CFK is registered 501(c)3 organization in the United States, a major associated entity of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and a registered NGO in Kenya. To learn more about CFK’s history and programs, please visit: http://cfk.unc.edu/